Monday, October 6, 2008

It's time for Sara to leave.



The last of "Team Mexico" -- Sam and I, Isabella (under covers), Sara, Summer and Phyllis



We knew that this time was coming, but we kept thinking it was far off in the future or that maybe it wouldn't happen at all, but indeed, the time has come, and our teammate Sara has packed up and returned to the States. This has been an intense and emotional week for all of us. Sara's mom came up a couple of weeks ago to help her pack and sell most of her things, and this weekend, her dad along with Don Box arrived in their minivan to load up all of her things. Phyllis has been here also for the past week, which has been such a blessing for all of us. We had a very special day at church yesterday. After services we had lunch to celebrate the time Sara has been with us. The cell leaders did an amazing job at planning the event and deciding how to best honor Sara. After lunch, each family had a note for her and a rose which we all gave to her and put in her new wooden trunk (it's pretty cool,if you ask me). You will have to wait for her to post something about it so you can see it. There were many tears, but there was also a peace and a joy in our midst. Many people don't get the chance or don't take the chance to say goodbye in a healthy way, so this was a great way to show and participate in one of those facts of life.



Sara with her parents, Ron and Marilyn, Phyllis and Don Box at the table of honor yesterday




Some of the church members enjoying lunch with Sara



The whole bunch stayed at our house Saturday and Sunday night. In spite of the circumstances, it was fun to have them all in our house -- they got a great taste at the hustle and bustle of activity in our midst. It also gave a special opportunity to spend some time with Sara and her family during this special time. Very early this morning, they loaded up her car, drove to her house to pick up the minivan and headed out. We have gotten word that they are safe and sound across the border and headed to spend the night somewhere (probably San Antonio).



Good buy Sara

It was tough to see her drive away and know that she won't be back to be a part of the work here, but we know that she is headed for something great. We praise God for her time her, her commitment to the ministry here, for the way she has opened her heart to the church here. We will miss her very, very much!


Our sweet Victoria...

This has been an especially emotional time for Victoria, which breaks my heart as well. I know that it's part of learning about being a mother and watching your child hurt, and in a sense be unable to change that. We have talked about it and hugged and cried together. It's been a special time. It has touched all aspects of my life. It has taken me back to when I, as a young teenager left Argentina and all the emotions in that. I have thought more of what this was like for my parents, of how incredibly difficult it must have been for them. The reality of the moment is in my face with my own emotions and with helping my children walk through this time. And it takes me to think about the day when we may pack up our things and move into the next phase of our lives. I'm not ready for it, which is okay. I don't have to be ready for it.
So, in a sense we are flying solo now, yet we are surrounded by people here who are committed to what God is doing in this church, who are ready to step up into what needs to be done, who are our friends, our co-workers and our brothers and sisters in Christ. God is good.
I know that Sara would appreciate your prayers as she faces what is next in her life...

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh guys - I know that had to be a difficult good-bye. Do you need a get away? Come visit us! Or let us know when would be a good time for us to get away to you :)

Love, Carolyn

TriSara said...

My heart is sad for you guys; I hope you are experiencing the peace that passes all understanding. Wow, I never thought about how someone Victoria's age would handle such a change. I can imagine it is hard for you to see her hurting. That kind of pain is heart wrenching. I pray God will quickly heal her heart and replace that relationship with one equally as special.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me so much of when the Haynes left Rosario, and when the Vincents left BsAs. Just about killed us. Remember the song Becky wrote and sang for you at that last retreat? OOOh! You'll live through it, I know it and you know it. But, the pain in the mean time...So sorry for your pain and vor Victoria's sorrow. Take care. Love, Vicky

Beckycita Peurifoy said...

ANITA! I FEEL SOOOOO SAD FOR VICTORIA. I WAS MISERABLE WHEN TIM & TERESA LEFT AND THOUGHT THE SUN WOULD NEVER SHINE AGAIN WHEN YOUR FAMILY LEFT. BUT...LIFE WENT ON. YOU AND I HAVE FOUND OUR WAY BACK TO EACHOTHER SO MANY TIMES. AND ONE OF MY FAVORITE AUNTS IS TERESA AND WHAT A JOY IT IS TO HEAR FROM HER. I WILL PRAY FOR YOU AS THE MAMA, BUT I'LL PRAY HARD FOR VICTORIA, MY LITTLE BUDDY. LOVE YOU GIRL! BECKY

Marisa said...

You are just a wonderful mother.I love you all so much, and am always thinking and praying for you Sam, and the girls. :)