Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Solemn Moments...


We have them occasionally in our house, or at least we try to have solemn moments. Tonight we started our Advent devotionals. The girls were thrilled to get the candles out, and the ensuing discussion was who would get to light the candles and blow them out. But, we got the candle lit, the lights down low, everyone quiet and listening as Victoria read from Isaiah 52:7 "how beautiful the feet of those that bring good news." As we are discussing who brings good news, Sofia answers "God" (good job!), immediately followed by "Santa Claus." Trying not to laugh too much, we continue on, only to have Olivia try and imitate her father's burp and make a face way too funny for us all not to laugh. That's as solemn as it got tonight!
Yesterday during our worship service, I finally sat down with Olivia for a moment of solemnity as we participated in the Lord's Supper. I was trying to concentrate on the moment, when I felt a warm fuzzy feeling on my lap. Lo and behold, the girl had peed all over me! To top it off, when I stood up, it just looked like I had peed all over myself.
One more, where I had no choice but to laugh. A couple of weeks ago, I was wrestling three monkeys during the worship time and I finally got them settled...I'm trying to sing, focus and praise God with Olivia on my lap, Victoria on one side sitting close and Sofia on the other side trying to sit in my lap. I get my hair to move it out of the way since my girls like to play with my hair, when what to my surprise should appear, but gum in my hair. Yes, GUM IN MY HAIR!!!! Not to worry, in between verses, I pulled out my trusted pocket knife and proceeded to cut the gum out! Like I said, all I could do was laugh! I'm glad God knows and understands moms!

1 comment:

TriSara said...

You are way ahead of most of us with your devotionals if you can get the kids' attention off of the candle long enough to read a verse! Love the pee story. If you did NOT have kids, it would have looked like you peed on yourself, but since you DO have kids, even if you really did pee on yourself, people would assume it came from the kids.