Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The joys of shopping

There are very few things that we can complain about with living in Mexico -- after all, we have all the conveniences of the modern world including Sam's, Costco, and Starbucks (add Target, and life is pretty near perfect!). However, it is not as easy as it may seem. We take for granted the one-stop-shopping concept. For grocery shopping, I have to go to at least 2 stores and occasionally 3, so I do miss being able to pop into the Walmart super center and get everything I need in one fell swoop.
Well, Christmas is upon us and the girls have their Christmas programs coming up, which translates into costumes, singing and dancing. I went to our local material store but it didn't have what I needed, so the dreaded diagnosis -- I would have to go downtown to find what I needed. I shivered in fear, took a deep breath and set out to make my plan. Saturday morning seemed like a good time to lessen traffic and people. The girls most certainly would have to stay home! It is way to stressful to go, much less to keep up with three kids!
So, Saturday morning I headed out. The traffic wasn't too bad, and I knew exactly where I was going. It took a few turns to get there due to the one way streets, and although I did pass an empty spot to park in on the way, I don't parallel park downtown. Parallel parking is intimidating enough for me on an empty street with orange traffic cones as my parameters, but in tight spots with honking cars and onlookers full of advice, there is no way!!!! By the way, Sam is an excellent parallel parker, especially downtown. I am always amazed at how he squeezes the van into such small spaces -- a true Mexican! I find the parking lot and wait patiently in line for 5 minutes hoping they don't run out of spots before it's my turn. No problem, I make it in, maneuver the van in reverse (not another strong point of mine) into it's spot and make my way to the material shop.
This place is an amazing maze of material upon material upon material. Right at the door, there is a table stacked high with bolts of material that are on sale. Along most aisles, you have to walk sideways to get by, and there is no way two people can pass at the same time (a mother's worst nightmare for young children on the loose). Here's for the fun part...You browse around for what you want and once you decide, you have to find someone to help you. They are walking around with yard sticks or just look for the flock of people waiting to be helped also. This person, mostly males, I might add, will cut whatever material you need. So, I have my two or three selections. The young man cuts them, writes on a paper what I got and how much it costs and informs me I can pick it up at window 2. For the other material I need, he directs me to another part of the store where I will have to get help from someone else. Again, a very nice man cuts the material, writes on a paper and this I can pick up at window 1. For my other arts and crafts needs, I have to get help from yet another 2 people, after of course, I wade through people heckling, looking, waiting, cutting in line...These items, also recorded on paper I can pick up at window number 3.
With all my tickets in hand, I head to the cashier window and pay. She then proceeds to staple a receipt to each little paper I have and give them to me to pick up my merchandise. Three windows, three lines and a headache later, I am out the door with my stuff. Except, they didn't have one item I needed, so guess what, I have to go to another store and endure the very same process all over again.
Two hours later, I was safely in my car and making my way back home. I survived and even felt a little less intimidated by downtown! Maybe I'll try it again...next Christmas. All this to say, I really enjoy shopping at Hobby Lobby =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Ann! I remember the days of shopping in Rosario! I not only dreaded going into the throngs of the masses (was that a double something? ha!)but, it was always soo hot @ Christmas time. As your mother can attest to..I don't function well in the heat. Anyway, your present days are sending me down memory lane almost every post. I guess I'm trying to say, I feel your pain. Hey, check out www.pruittsplace.com or something like that..Ricky's blog..Cindy gave birth to Richard Cooper Pruitt last night. I shouldn't share their great news. He is just perfect and precious. Vicky

TriSara said...

Golly! I am tired just reading about it. Way to go on your success. I would tell my girls they just have to wear bed sheets, you know, like in "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever!"

Chris and Becky said...

CRAZY WOMAN! IT SOUNDS LIKE SHOPPING IS A NIGHTMARE. JUST SEND ME THE LIST AND I'LL MAIL IT TO YOU IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WOULD TAKE JUST AS MUCH TIME! HOW DID YOUR CRAFTS TURN OUT?