Monday, March 16, 2009

Oh, yeah, blogging...

I forgot I was supposed to be blogging every now and then...Life has been busy and I get easily distracted.  I think I will be a perfect candidate for old age senility or maybe it's just a little adult ADHD or just keeping track of four little ones and their trains of thought!
So, we have been doing well.  My parents, sister-in-law, Chris and her kids Alexander and Elizabeth arrived today for a short visit.  We are very excited about having them here and spending some time with us.  Olivia has been fascinated with the idea of "Xander" coming and remembering how she bit him over Christmas. 
 It has been a daily topic of conversation since December! We are really hoping she is past that; otherwise, it might be a rough visit for her.  It should be a fun few days!  Victoria and Sofia are bummed that they have school all week while
 family is here, but mom is feeling generous and 
they may just get to skip a day!



I have been having an ethical dilemma.  Several months ago, I went to see the movie Mamma Mia and really really enjoyed it.  It was funny and I loved the songs -entertaining and took me down major memory lane.  Victoria had seen the previews and thought it would be a great movie to see, especially since I told her that I knew all the songs.  Well, after seeing it, I didn't think that the subject matter -- a girl trying to decide who of 3 men was her father, since her mother had slept with all of them and didn't know herself, was appropriate for a 10-year-old.  Really I wasn't up for the challenge of explaining it all out.  So, in spite of her insistence, I said no.  Well, about a month ago, she went to a friend's birthday party and sleep over.  When she got home, she was singing all the songs and proudly informed me that they had watched the movie and she loved it!  Man!!!!  I reluctantly rose to the challenge of explaining the situation and why it wasn't a good one.  My question is, now that she has seen the movie, can I watch it with her and enjoy it or should it still be off limits?!  Tough choice... 

2 comments:

TriSara said...

watching it over and over would seriously desensitize (sp?) her to the adult situations, I think. Soren has seen it, too, but I decided afterward that if we watch a lot of that stuff it will make it really no big deal to her and I still want it to be a big deal!

Amy said...

Wow. I just found your blog and had that same problem. I saw it and loved it. Just sat and enjoyed the songs. Rented it to watch with my Mom who is 74 and knew she would love it and I sat a cringed and thought, ouch...I did not think too much about what I was watching. Satan is sneaky. I don't like him. I pray that you will continue to teach your children to always examine what Jesus would do in a situation. It really clears it up for me. I have a picture frame with these words in bold letters sitting on my tv. It says I will not watch anything that helped to crucify my Lord. Blessings and carry on in joy. Amy